Shop talk

One of the things on our agenda for the weekend is our big, once-a-month grocery shop. Really. We shop once a month and I love it. Or at least as much as I can love grocery shopping.

About a year or so ago, I decided there had to be a better way than having to find time (and energy) every week to go grocery shopping. I also figured that the fewer times I was in the store, the less opportunity there would be to overspend.

I knew many people did once-a-month cooking - so I decided to try once-a-month shopping. I don't mean I never set foot in the store the other 27-30 days, but I only do one big shop with brief trips to pick up things like milk and vegetables. We are able to do much of our mid-month shopping at a small store that only sells food from local producers.

At the end of every month, I decide on the menus for the month ahead. I make a list based on those menus and buy all the items that will keep, plus perishable items for the coming week only. I cook from scratch, so I don't need a lot of storage for cans, packages and boxes. It used to take me ages to make up the menus, but I finally hit on a method that makes it easy, but that's a topic for another day.

It's a method that works out very well in our family. We shop together and make it more enjoyable with a nice lunch before and maybe something special from the store to enjoy after the food is all put away.  What I like best is the knowledge that we don't have to do it again for a whole month.

No comments:

Post a Comment