Freezer Food

Last night I didn't feel like cooking dinner. I was well enough to go to work, but that was the extent of my energy for the day. By the time dinnertime rolled around, I was tired and achy and couldn't face the kitchen.

I also couldn't face eating out. Another expensive,  probably unhealthy meal that I don't usually even like, just because I'm not feeling well. The solution, of course, is 'Freezer Food'. Something I've made double (or more) of in the past and squirreled away for just such an occasion. Since Thursday in our house is 'Soup/Salad/Pasta night' (I still haven't done that menu planning post yet), not to mention my husband had just had work done at the dentist,  the obvious choice was pasta.

Some point in the past I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce - the way my Italian grandmother taught me - and filled a shelf in my freezer with pint sized, freezer safe jars just waiting for an occasion such as this. I prefer jars because they are reusable, easy to clean thoroughly and don't contaminate food with plastic residue. Besides freezer safe jars, I've also got a supply of rectangular glass storage containers just the right size for a single meal for my family. I use those for everything from soups and casseroles, to slices of pie.

Right now my inventory is intentionally a bit low, since I've been waiting for fall to defrost and reorganize. I'm hoping to get to that this weekend so I can start stocking up lots of casseroles and comfort food which will be so welcome on the coming winter nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment