Ginger Cake

I'm starting to notice a trend here. I seem to be posting almost exclusively about desserts and totally neglect all the other things I toil over in the kitchen. I guess I'll have to change that, but in the meantime, here's the cake I made today. I didn't frost it. I was going to, but it just didn't seem to need it.

After reading the comments, I made a few changes. There were many comments about too much clove, and sinking in the middle. I cut back on the baking soda and it didn't sink. I may go with even less baking soda next time and probably less sugar, too. I also used two smaller pans so I could put one in the freezer.


'Starbucks' Ginger cake


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup applesauce
1 egg yolk 
    Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange extract


Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour a 9-inch loaf pan, or even a square baking pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve baking soda into applesauce and mix into creamed butter. Add flour mixture. Mix until smooth.

Pour the batter into a loaf pan.
Check after 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment