(Not So) Fakes: Homemade 'Poptarts'



I wish I had a better name for these. I think they deserve a name all their own that doesn't make them sound like junk food wannabes. After all, many cultures have their own versions of little pies that fit in one's hand. We're just more familiar with the commercial version, and since that is what people are more likely to know them by, that's what I've been calling them.

I've been making these for several years now. It was a fun activity for my son and me on a winter afternoon. Or any afternoon. We'd make all different kinds. His favorite was one he 'invented' - a S'mores version (pictured above) with chocolate chips and small marshmallow pieces, followed by his second favorite, cinnamon and sugar.

I usually brush with warm golden syrup as a glaze to make them shiny and add a touch of sweetness. You can use your favorite glaze and add sprinkles, too. 

Give it a try and let me know what filling is your favorite.

Homemade 'Poptarts'

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons cold water

Combine as for pie crust. Roll out and cut into rectangles 2x3 or 3x4 inches . Place rectangle on cookie sheet, spread with jam, cinnamon sugar, chocolate pieces, or whatever takes your fancy. Top with a second rectangle and seal all the way around.

Bake 450, 8-10 minutes. Glaze and add sprinkles if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment