(Not So) Fakes: Magic Shell

Ask my family one thing I say all the time and chances are good they'll answer 'There is nothing out there that I can't make better myself'. Most of the time, it's true. One notable exception is last week's croissant 'fail', but we won't go into that right now.

Last month I posted about homemade chocolate syrup, this month it's chocolate again: homemade 'Magic Shell'. I promise, it won't always be about chocolate - nor sweets. But a request for ice cream topping that formed a crunchy shell was made and I obliged.

This is probably one of the easiest things to duplicate at home. In fact, in my years of cooking with coconut oil, I've accidentally 'magic shelled' a number things when I've added melted coconut oil to cold ingredients. I just played around with the ratios til I was happy with the result. What I settled on was

75 grams coconut oil
100 grams good quality dark chocolate

I melt them together in a bowl over simmering water. That's it. Use it immediately or bottle it and store at room temperature to keep it liquid. If it solidifies - which it will if your house is as cold as mine in the winter - set the jar in hot water for a few minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'd be so happy if you could link this recipe to the Hearth and Soul hop. I know a lot of people would love to be able to mix up this magic at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done this - but I'll give it a try. I realise now I should have taken a photo :)

    ReplyDelete