Baked Oatmeal

For years I saw on blogs and boards references to 'Baked Oatmeal' for breakfast. Although everyone who mentioned it gushed about how great it was, it didn't sound like anything I wanted to try. I'm not sure what finally convinced me to try it, but eventually I did and I'll bet you already know what I'm going to say next. Yep, everyone loved it. Even the ones who don't like oatmeal.

It's been a long time since I last made it. It didn't really appeal to me that much during the summer, but that may just be me. Now that the mornings are getting rather - ahem-  'crisp', it once again sounds like a great way to start the day.

It's tough to come up with an actual recipe, since I tend to throw in what I have around the kitchen and what sounds good at the time. Today's version went something like this:

Last night I mixed and set out overnight:
 1 1/2 cup steel cut oats
Tablespoon yogurt
warm water

I like the texture and chewiness of steel cut oats. I don't know if it works as well with rolled oats since I've never tried it. If someone has maybe they could comment on it. Either way, oats are more nutritious when soaked overnight.

This morning I drained the oats and added:
dash salt
1 egg
1/3 cup whole milk
1/4 cup real maple syrup (you could use honey)
chopped apple, walnuts, cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg and a chunk of grass-fed butter.

I baked it at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes and served with more butter and fresh cream.

Next time, instead of apple and walnut, I'm thinking dried cranberries and macadamia nuts. On the other hand, I did just buy a bunch of persimmons...

Let me know what flavor combinations you come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment