Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry sauce has got to be one of the easiest-to-make parts of Thanksgiving dinner. It takes just minutes and practically cooks itself. True, it isn't shaped like a can with the pattern of the can along the sides, but I've been eating homemade for as long as I can remember, so I don't know why anyone would choose that anyway.

When I was a kid, my grandmother had a pomegranate tree. My sister and I would  peel them like an orange, so it was messy and took ages (and probably ruined our clothes). Looking back I realize that taking the time and care to fill a bowl with bright red pomegranate seeds was quite a lesson in patience for small children.

A few years ago though, I learned the trick of how to peel a pomegranate. Since it was so fast and easy, that year we had more pomegranates than ever. They started showing up in packed lunches, fall fruit salads and drinks. When the time came to make cranberry sauce, I decided to put some in with the cranberries and liked it so much that I've done it ever since.

Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 bag cranberries
1/2 cup  pomegranate arils (or seeds)


Put sugar and water in a pan over medium heat. Once sugar is dissolved, add cranberries and pomegranate arils. Simmer gently for 10-12 minutes. The cranberries will make a popping sound as they cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment