Lavender Everywhere



I'm not a fan of artificial scents, anymore than I'm a fan of artificial food. To me they don't smell nice at all. When I'm in a room with air fresheners plugged in,  I can't wait to leave. I avoid the laundry aisle at the store, and don't even like being outside when my downy/bounce loving neighbors do laundry and the smell comes wafting over the fence from their dryer vents. I can't imagine infusing my clothes in this stuff and breathing it all day - or inhaling it from my sheets and pillowcases all night.

But I do like nice smells in my house. If you've been reading my blog for anytime at all, you probably guess one of my favorites is lavender. I use lavender in many ways throughout the house.

This summer I used my stems of lavender from my garden to make lavender wands. I also bought small drawstring bags from the craft store and filled them with lavender flowers to make sachets.

Most recently I made gel air fresheners with gelatin and lavender essential oil. The recipe I used was simple:


1 cup water
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 Tablespoon salt
essential oil
optional: coloring, ribbon, glass pebbles, flower petals, etc.

Method:

Heat water to a boil. Add salt and gelatin stirring to ensure both are completely dissolved.

Stir in about 20 drops of essential oil and coloring if you're using it, adjusting to your preference. Pour into jars and decorate if you like.

With the holiday season coming, I'm planning to find some pretty jars make some with cinnamon and other spicy scents.

No comments:

Post a Comment