Terra Incognita III - Homemade Ketchup

One of my 'big plans' last summer was making ketchup from my own tomatoes. There was one slight problem though -  the lack of cooperation on the part of my tomato plants. We had enough tomatoes for eating, but not the bumper crop that I would have needed to make a decent batch of ketchup.

In the end I compromised and started with store bought tomato paste. I bought the good stuff though - organic tomatoes in a jar rather than a can, and cultured it for added health benefits.

I looked at a number of recipes, both in Nourishing Traditions and in various places online, but knew I'd found what I was looking for when I saw this recipe.

I used the recipe as is, other than leaving out the mustard, since I didn't have any on hand. It smelled so good as I was mixing it, I almost wanted to eat it with a spoon.

A few days later, it was ready to eat. My family's verdict: good stuff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment