Broccoli Salad

I know it will snow again - in fact the forecast says we'll be getting some next week. But the days are getting longer, the sun is higher in the sky, and it's feeling like spring to me. I've packed away my sweaters and brought out the sandals. Even my menus are transitioning to more warm weather food. Lately, I've been craving soup less, and crunchy salads more.

Most of the time it's a big green salad, but occasionally, especially when we grill hot dogs or burgers, I like this one. The first time I had it was at a family potluck when two guests brought it. Even with double the amount, there was none leftover. The two salads had slightly different ingredients, so I combined what I liked best about each and came up with my own. Again, it's a small amount for my small family, but is easily adjusted


Broccoli Salad

Large head of broccoli, trimmed and divided into bite-size pieces and briefly blanched to be crisp and bright green
1 small red onion, finely diced
6 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (Some recipes use cashews or other nuts)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2-3/4 cup plain yogurt (I use yogurt since we don't like mayonnaise)
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Combine the broccoli, onion, sunflower seeds, and cranberries in a large mixing bowl. Mix the  yogurt, honey, and vinegar together and pour over the other ingredients.

Toss and refrigerate. For best results, add the bacon just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment