Hot Fudge Cake

Long ago and far away, I used to make this recipe fairly often. And then I just sortof forgot about it. It seems the world forgot about it, too. I mentioned it at work the day after I made it, and no one else had even heard about it. What else could I do but change my February blog post plan and share this recipe instead?

The ingredients are simple, the recipe is quick and easy, and the result: a chocolate cake with its own warm, fudge sauce. The ingredients separate into two layers, with a cake layer on top and a thick, chocolate sauce underneath. As it comes out of the oven, the sauce bubbles up through the cake here and there a bit like lava bubbling up through the ground.

It's best served the day it's made, so I usually make a half recipe for my family of three. We like it warm from the oven with a scoop of ice cream.

Hot Fudge Cake
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
***
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
11/4 cup very hot water

Heat oven to 350. Mix all the ingredients above the asterisks. Pour into ungreased 9 inch square pan.

Mix together the brown sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle it on top  of the batter. Pour the hot water over the top.

Bake 45 minutes.  Spoon it into a dessert dish as is, with the sauce spooned over the top, or add a scoop of ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment