Poppy Seed Bread

The other day I was organizing my pantry and I came across a bottle of poppy seeds. I realized I hadn't made poppy seed bread in ages. So of course, what else was there to do but bake some bread?

My recipe is an old one. It dates from the days when people shared recipes on decorative little index cards rather than on the internet. About 20 years ago, a friend gave me one of those little cards with this recipe. I've altered it slightly to decrease the sugar and used butter and coconut oil instead of margarine or seed oils.


Poppy Seed Bread

1/2 cup melted coconut oil, butter or a mixture of both
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
34 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup milk

Glaze:
1/2 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 cup powdered sugar

Melt butter and/or coconut oil. Mix in sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add flavorings and poppy seeds. Mix flour with baking powder and salt. Add half the flour mixture at a time, alternating with milk, until all have been added. 

Pour into loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees, 45-50 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then removed from pan. 

Combine glaze ingredients and brush or pour over warm bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment